Wednesday, March 10, 2010

What's for dinner?

Baked Ziti


dry ziti pasta
onion chopped
1 pound lean ground beef or Italian sausage
2 (26 ounce) jars spaghetti sauce or make home made sauce (recipe below)
provolone cheese sliced
sour cream
mozzarella cheese shredded
grated Parmesan cheese

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add ziti pasta, and cook until al dente; drain.

In a large skillet, brown onion and meat. Add spaghetti sauce, and simmer.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter a 9x13 inch baking dish.

Layer: 1/2 of the ziti, Provolone cheese, sour cream, 1/2 sauce mixture, remaining ziti, mozzarella cheese and remaining sauce mixture. Top with grated Parmesan cheese.

Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until cheeses are melted.

*I made my own spaghetti sauce for the first time. It was easy and turned out pretty good. In a large heated pot with a little olive oil I added tomato puree, one can of crushed tomatoes, one can of tomato paste, chopped onion, mushrooms, chopped bell pepper, grated Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, garlic powder, parsley and basil. I added 2 bay leaves (don't forget to remove before you serve). The last hour of cooking I added about 4 cloves of garlic. I cooked this on a very low heat for about 4 or 5 hours. (I think squash and zucchini would be great in this sauce! Just a thought!)

2 comments: